Saturday, January 07, 2006

TMI 51 The Depression Years Phase 1 cont. THE DAY AFTER THE WRECK

I didn't sleep at all that night. I couldn't. I was too keyed up.

I got up the next morning, called the office, called the insurance company, called the car rental place.

A lady from work came and got me because I lived so close. The car rental place delivered to my work.

I drug thru the day. I got off and got the baby from daycare, dropped him again off at the neighbors and went to get the stuff out of the car.

I finally found the lot where it was towed to. Just looking at it made me cry. Not because I had no car but because I can't believe my son had been in there and lived. The front end of the car was smashed. Apparently on one of the flips, it came down nose first before flipping onto the back then front again then finally coming to rest upside down nose away from the street. The moon roof was open. The air bags had deployed. He had had his seatbelt on. The stitching on the seatbelt had torn down to the last row of stitches. I opened the driver's door to get out my stuff, CD's junk like that. It opened and closed perfectly. I couldn't believe it. I went around to the hatchback to get the baby's stroller out. The trunk opened and closed without a hitch even though it was badly disfigured. The stroller wasn't so lucky. The wheels had been horribly bent and it would never be usable again.

I went back, got the baby from the neighbors and went home and cried again. Then I fed us all and went to bed to finally sleep.

No comments: