Wednesday, January 04, 2006

TMI 43 The Lull and the Real Beginning of the End

Dennis was working and drinking pretty much whenever he wasn't working. I wasn't working and I wasn't. He was back to making about $120k a year. We still had his credit card debt, his new minivan, my car, my credit cards, and the house to pay in addtional to utilities and etc and his $2k/month in child support. I was covering my bills and the house payment and my car payment with my severance and day trading. I had gotten pretty good at day trading and at that time the market was hot.

I was getting sick of the drinking but we had grown into a rut that wasn't nearly as bad as before. I managed Dennis and his drinking. My friends had pretty much had it with him and with me. I fought with my closest friends for the first time in my life. I just wanted him to wake up and see what he was doing. I just knew if he knew how much he was hurting himself and everyone else he would be highly ashamed and embarrassed. I kept waiting for him to get to that point. I was just sure he would. My older sons were disgusted with me. Dennis wasn't getting better.

In late January of 1999, I got a call from a headhunter about a job. I called a friend who worked at the company and they put in a good word for me. I was sure I had the job before I interviewed. I was a perfect fit and they needed me and I knew it. The commute would be a killer. I had to go from one side of Dallas to the direct opposite every morning and evening during rush hour. It would usually be a 2 hour commute each direction due to traffic and having to drop the baby off at daycare.

They offered me the job. I visited my friend in California and took the baby with me. My older son went to stay with his Dad and older brother. I was gone for a week. I came back and had a week before I started working.

The closer I got to having to start work, the madder I got. I was going to have to leave my baby in daycare while his 3 half brothers and 1 half sister got a stay at home Mom. On top of it all, they were still not divorced so my marriage was still not legal. Dennis was still drinking. He had to take a lie detector test as part of his sex offender therapy. He was sweating bullets. I thought it was because he was drinking and was afraid they would ask that. He was still taking some mood altering prescription drugs in what he claimed was an attempt to quit drinking YAH RIGHT!

I was still at home the day he went to take the lie detector test. He dosed himself up on Buspar pretty good before going because he was so nervous. That drug is supposed to help you lie on a lie detector test I found out later.

He came home and told me the examiner said he passed with flying colors.

I was still not happy. I sent an email to his other wife and to him and gave them an ultimatium. They get the divorce overwith or Dennis moved out. I was not going to continue to manage him and a baby and etc while I got nothing. I wanted a legal marriage. I gave them 30 days to settle it.

The response wasn't what I was hoping for. I started work. I was mad but making it. On my third day of my new job, Dennis called me drunk and told me I had to get home right away and wouldn't give me any more explanation. I let my boss know and headed home.

Dennis had gotten the results of the lie detector test and had failed. It indicated that he had reoffended. I was floored. I told him to get out. He was totally drunk and refused. I packed up the kids and went to a motel. I called his probation officer in the morning and told him I was not going to be his chaperone any longer and that I wanted him OUT of my house before I got home.

No comments: