Thursday, January 26, 2006

And then, the other shoe dropped

Today, I am sitting at work and feeling really uneasy because of the layoffs yesterday. I feeling just sure that they will move my position to Mexico. The only question really seems to be when and how long do I have?

At lunch time, the HR lady comes and asks me to follow her. I go with her just knowing I am getting laid off. She says "Oh no, this is not bad news." I follow her into a conference room where my boss is sitting. The other guy I used to work for and really liked is also sitting there along with the HR lady and they have my bosses boss that just got let go on the phone.

Seems they are moving my whole department to Mexico. I am being kept and moved to another department but everyone else in the department is getting laid off. I am at once both relieved, estatic I still have a job and sad that the others won't. I am also mad. They are keeping them for a month to do a transition then I go on to the other client and the others go home.

1 comment:

Betty said...

At least they recognize your value...or at least a % of it.

I'm sure the next month will be difficult. Hard to keep morale up when so much uncertainly fills the air.

My sister's job was moved to Mexico. Because of Nafta, Uncle Sam paid for her to go back to school and get a college degree. Instead of working in a factory coiling wires, now she's a laboratory asst.

I come from a long line of medical professionals. Mother, grandmother, aunt were nurses. Other sister is a doctor. All of us four girls were nursing assistants at some point in time. So...happy ending.

I hope for the same for your staff.