Friday, January 06, 2006

TMI 51 The Depression Years Phase 1 cont. THE WRECK

The police knocked at my door at 11:00 PM. I had been asleep with the baby who was now about 2 and a half. I knew when I heard the knock, it wouldn't be a good thing. I opened the door to a cop. Opening the door, to a cop, at 11:00 at night out of a sound sleep is never a good thing. The cop told me "Ma'am, we have been trying to call you but no one answered." (I didn't have a phone in the bedroom only in the kitchen). "Your son has been in a wreck but he is okay and we need you to come get him."

Suddenly, I was fully awake. He ask me if I would like to follow him. I told him I couldn't. My son had wrecked my only car. He said he would wait until I got dressed. I went in threw on some jeans and grabbed a blanket for the baby and the cop took me to the site of the wreck. I had a 2000 Acura Integra. They have a moon roof. My son had had it open. The cop drives me slowly by the car. It had some to rest upside down and had been stopped by a huge pile of dirt that had been moved for some construction. One headlight was still on. I will always remember seeing that car and wondering how my son was still alive. When I saw the car, I started crying silent tears.

We got to the gas station where my son had run to after he crawled out of the car to call me and the police. He was sitting in the back of an ambulance. The paramedics said that he seemed uninjured but that it might be a good idea to take him to a hospital to have him checked. From everything they could see, he was fine. He was shaken up but fine.

That was the last time I can remember my son hugging me and crying. The first words out of his mouth were "Mom I am so sorry I wrecked your car." I cried and told him it was just a car and I was just glad he was alive."

The cops give him a ticket for reckless driving. They couldn't prove speeding since they weren't there but the one cop said he had to be going over 100 MPH when he wrecked. They weren't very nice to him. I, for one, was glad. I was too glad he was alive to put the fear of God into him and the cops did that for me. I thanked them. I really do love Cops.

We got home and called his dad to let him know. The dad, of course, had to come see him to make sure he was okay. By this time, it was 1 AM. My ex was being an asshole to me in my house. I wasn't amused.

No comments: