Sunday, January 01, 2006

TMI 34 A Glimmer of Hope

Dennis woke up finally and had a wicked hang over. He was home. He was bruised and sore. He was sick as a dog.

He got up and I explained to him about how I thought that he was very lucky to be alive. I explained that while he had definitely had a rough couple of days. I was willing to once again try to help him.

I laid out the fact that he might well have his probation revoked and could well got to prison due to the public intoxication arrest.

I told him I thought his best bet was to really try to get sober and to make a concerted, honest effort to get sober once and for all.

I let him think about it and he decided I was right. He also thought that he didn't need to do inpatient treatment but that he could bet sober on his own with help on an outpatient basis. He was very shaky and scared. He made appoitments to see a doctor to help him get over the alcohol withdrawl and set up meeting with an alcohol counselor. I was supportive. I went with him to all the appointments. I drove him to and picked him up from work so he wouldn't be tempted to stop and get alcohol on his way home. He got off at midnight and I would be there waiting for him. This went on for about 3 weeks and finally he felt good enough to be able to drive himself. He went to AA meetings and seemed to be making a genuine effort.

For the first time in about 4 months, I had hope again. He was sober and reasonable to be around and a concerned and caring husband. I felt we had a long way to go but had finally started on the road to recovery.

During all this time, the divorce from the other wife was not finalized. I didn't really understand what the hold up was but I was growing impatient.

No comments: