Thursday, December 29, 2005

TMI 29 The Second Probation Officer and the Sex Offender Therapist

I was home full time now on short term disability due to the pregnancy. It turns out I was not diabetic after all but I pretty much tried to adhere to the diet for diabetics anyway since I had such large babies in the past. Since I was home, my new full time job was to supervise Dennis. It was March 1998 by now. Dennis was refusing to take Antabuse period. He and I were fighting about his drinking constantly. I was going to the chaperone classes and doing everything in my power to get him to abide by the terms of his probation. The chaperone classes made me ill. I was frustrated. Dennis wasn't a pedophile just a drunk. We met with the "new" probation officer. I kinda liked the guy. He seemed like he was a really good guy that basically had to deal with the scum of the earth on a daily basis. Dennis of course immediately hated him. But then, Dennis hated everyone that had anything to do with him not having absolute freedom to do what he wanted 24 hours a day 7 days a week. This was beginning to include me.

His oldest son's girlfriend was now pregnant from his trip home over Christmas. The son's mother was having back surgery and the son had requested and was in the process of receiving a Hardship Discharge from the Marines so he could take care of his mother. He was back in the area on Compassionate Reassignment until his discharge came thru. He was working as a Marine Recruiter in the meantime. He needed some dental work done and had to go to what was then Carswell Joint Base in Fort Worth.

It was a Monday afternoon. I was 7 months pregnant and physically exhausted from being pregnant and so stressed at 37. Dennis had his first meeting with his Sex Offender Therapist. I had had it with his drinking. I felt like I could talk to the Therapist about it and it would cause less problems that going to the Probation Officer. Boy, was I in for a surprise.

I gave Dennis an ultimatium. I told him that he start taking the Antabuse again or I would go and talk with the Therapist and explain that his problem was not that he was a pedophile but that he was a really serious alcoholic. He refused. I left to go meet with his Therapist at his appointment time. The therapist was a hardass and not thrilled to see me. I had gotten there before Dennis and was about halfway thru my explanation when Dennis arrived. He was livid. I wasn't surprised but I thought he would be smart enough to have learned you don't argue with people that have authority over your life. I hoped the Therapist would encourage him to enter a Treatment Facility. Dennis talked for about 15 minutes then stormed out after a shouting match with the Therapist. The Therapist told me I was crazy for buying any of his story and that he most certainly was a pedophile and that I was in denial. He proceeded to call Dennis's Probation Officer while I was there. I left and headed home, not looking forward to the fight when I got there. I knew Dennis was going to be mad but certainly he would see I just loved him and was trying to help.

No comments: