Saturday, December 24, 2005

TMI 20

It was November now and I finally had the amniocentesis and ultrasound. Due to my age and my previous miscarriage the doctors wanted to be sure everything was fine and that we weren't having a Downs baby. At that point, it wouldn't have mattered to me. It was my baby and I already loved it so much. The ultrasound told us it was a boy. It also told us there were some abnormalities with his head. They thought it would resolve itself but wanted to do another ultrasound in a 2 months to see what was happening. Lovely, I had one more thing to worry about now.

Now we had built a pretty good defense for Dennis. He was sober and had been for 2 months or so. It looked like we were going to trial but we were now on what appeared to be even ground. Additionally, the other wife had told CPS or someone in a statement that part of the reason she came forward was that she felt she would get a better divorce settlement. She did it on an official statement.

One day in late November/early December, we had a meeting with Dennis's attorneys. They idicated that they had a plea agreement offer. The deal was that Dennis would plead no contest in exchange for Deferred Adjudication. The Deferred Adjudication involved accepting 5 years probation without having to register as a sex offender and at the end of the 5 years as long as there were no problems complying with the probation there would be no record.

I was elated. It seemed like things were going to be okay. It was short lived though. Dennis refused to accept the plea agreement. He wanted his day in court. I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach.

No comments: