Sunday, September 18, 2005

Exercise and Sweat

When I was in the Army, I learned to run. The Army didn't teach me to run. I learned that from an Exercise Physiologist I dated who was also in the Army with me. Most people don't know you need to learn how to run. I don't mean the kind of running you do from your car to the office when it is raining. I mean the kind of running where you sustain it for more than 20 minutes. Most people also don't know there is peace involved in running. Maybe I should call it grace rather than peace. It is a time when you are forced to be with yourself.

I quit running for a long time. Marriage, babies, work, and etc all got in the way and some of those things still do but I am making a concerted effort to do it again. I like me better when I run. I like the way I feel after I take a shower and get the gritty salt off. I like the way my body feels when I run and run well. I never had a spouse that would run with me and it is a shame. That may have been a primary reason why my marriages failed. It isn't that I expected them to and they refused. It was that they didn't and because they didn't, I changed to accomodate them. It was a mistake. One I won't make again.

No comments: