Friday, February 10, 2006

In my experience

As business person, I often am exposed to mass quantities of financial data. My job requires me to analyze that data.

It is my contention that most company's have systems in place to insure that there are checks and balances to prevent loss and theft. When those systems are not in place it indicates a problem. There are several reasons that they may not be in place. They are as follows:

1. The people involved at decision making levels are not fully trained. Or;

2. The people involved at decision making levels are too lazy to do things the right way. Or;

3. The people involved at decision making levels are too stupid to know the right way to do things. This option is not likely or they wouldn't have gotten to the decision making level. Or;

4. The people involved at decision making levels are deliberately avoiding a system of checks and balance to avoid detecting their criminal activity.

I have worked at quite a few companies. I have seen the criminal conduct on several occasions. What I also have found is that when it is discovered. The said decision making level criminal is not only not prosecuted but offered a golden parachute to keep them quiet about said criminal conduct to avoid impact on the company's stock price.

Most criminal conduct of any significant proportion is conducted at high levels. Peons just don't have access to the level of theft to be really tempting. Besides, most of us are just honest working staff's that are trying to make a living. The corrupt tend to rise thru the ranks because they don't have the same remorse reflex. I have seen it many times. Some cultures are more likely to condone this. It is sad, but it is the truth.

I can't stand a corrupt manager. Thank GOD I don't have to face that right now.

No comments: