Monday, November 07, 2005

NASCAR WEEKEND AND MY LITTLE EXPERIMENT

I have absolutely terrific neighbors that pick my son up after school everyday and keep him for me until I get home from work.

As a result, I sometimes babysit their kids when they want to get out to a movie without the kids or something.

This weekend was NASCAR weekend and both of my best neighbors are NASCAR fanatics. I kept one neighbors kids starting at 5AM thru about 8PM. The kids are 7, 4, and about 16 months. I am old. My son is 7 and I was old when I had him. It has been a very long time since I had to take care of a small child. I had no idea they ate so little and moved around so much and so fast.

I was running out of things to do with them and decided that we would go to the creek and catch minnows. I fully expected that it was too late in the year for minnows but figured it would get the kids out of the house and keep them busy for a while. Here is what I learned.

A seven year old boy can catch a very quick minnow with his bare hands in very cold dirty water.

Seven year old boys NEVER get tired of trying to catch minnows with their bare hands in very cold water.

Four year old girls have to pee after standing a short while in very cold water.

There are minnows in the creek in November in Texas.

Taking kids to catch minnows is kinda fun.

Blue Gill minnows don't live long in captivity.

Some other kind of minnow seem to be doing just fine in a clean aquarium with treated tap water and some of their own creek water.

1 comment:

Betty said...

HA! How funny that you posted about minnows! I cleaned my fish pond over the weekend and discovered that the minnows my 10 year old caught in our creek, which I had assured him would be gold fish food if he put them in the fish pond, survived! Three out of five of them, anyway. Maybe more!